Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The thoughts of a recent college graduate...

I am just a recent college graduate with an MBA, who is sick and tired of being harassed by collection agencies. Over the past several years I have managed to get my Bachelors of Science degree and my Masters degree, which I was told would bring me roughly about $40,000 to $60,000 income once I have graduated. 


The reality, however, is far from what I was promised by those expensive educational institutions. I have managed to accumulate well over a 150K in student loans and now I cannot even get a job as an administrative assistant, which pays an average of  $1500/month salary. I would take that over not having a job, however, apparently  every job that I apply for I am under qualified due to experience or overqualified due to education. 


The financial institutions that lent me the money do not even care to consider the possibility of a 26 year old recent college graduate not being able to pay $1500-$2000 a month. There is no hope or help for recent college graduates like myself. We are being harassed 24/7 by the companies, who have bought our student loans from the big banks for pennies on the dollar and now they want to settle for at least half of the original loan amount. Sure, mister collection agency representative, I am a 26 year old college graduate, who is not even qualified for a $1500 a month administrative assistant position, but I do have close to $100,000 in my bank account to pay you immediately. 


The harassing phone calls never end. They call you 24/7, threaten your family, threaten you, make fun of you, demand that you pay immediately or else, try to use the law to scare you, ask you questions just so you feel even less of a person, and all of that just to get some $$$ out of poor college graduates. I ask myself if it was really worth it; is college education just part of our society or does it really help you out there in the real world? Every day I get more and more convinced that college education was not worth it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment